Tuesday, March 9, 2021

ONE YEAR AGO and now!

Nearly one year from the date, when we walked away, and I read the sign out front of the school that said, "see you in two weeks," I was able to hold a small, in-person singing rehearsal yesterday for the play. The students were masked; we had time limitations, and it wasn't the same, but it was a step closer, and I was more emotional than I planned to be.


I left practice feeling genuinely happy, dare I say hopeful? Not just because the kids sounded even better than I remembered but also because we were making music again, together. It's a beautiful thing! I can't fully articulate the frustrations of making music outside, but it isn't a perfect system, that's for sure. Imagine competing with cars, wind, weather, distractions, birds, bugs, having to move equipment back and forth. It's been a lot, it is still a lot, but sunshine, warmer temps, and new guidelines for performing together again definitely feels hope-filled!


So, there's that, and then the logistics of this week. We are not singing inside the gym on dance days. If we sing, we will move outside. We are focusing on syncing the group with the dance steps first. Today, Tomorrow, and Friday 3-5 PM are ALL CAST days! Can you see my smile behind my mask? Because I AM SMILING!


Thursday and Monday's rehearsals were changed. Please see the updates on the calendar. The cast has been updated in the classroom as well.  


Thank you for allowing your children to be a part of this year's musical! Thank you for making music and performance a priority. Thank you for the masks dropped off already. Just in case I miss a thank you or twelve in the coming weeks here are some proactive thanks. Thank you, thank you, thank you!


Thirty-eight school days and counting to production, and I do not doubt with proper COVID protocols and this group's incredible talents we will get there!


With a grateful heart, Kristen Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final weeks Updates 4/29 - 5/ 3

Good Evening -  Happy Sunday! What a productive week and weekend we had. I hope the cast has spent time resting and reviewing their lines, s...